Eden Gardens is one of the oldest cricket stadium in the history of the cricketing world. It is one of the most popular cricket stadium of the entire cricket world.
Eden Gardens is ranked among top three cricket ground in entire cricket world including Melbourne Cricket Ground of Australia and Lords Cricket Ground of England.
This historical cricket ground is situated in the old capital of India, Kolkata city. This cricket ground was established in the year of 1864. This cricket ground is the home of the IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders and the head office of the Cricket Association of Bengal is also located here.
Fact files of Eden Gardens Cricket Stadium
* This stadium is located in Binoy Badal Dinesh Bag area of the city, near the State Secretariat and the High Court in Kolkata city.
* This one of the oldest cricket stadium was established in the year of 1864.
* The sitting capacity of this stadium is Approx 90,000.
* Day/Night match facility is available in this ground.
* 2011 ICC Cricket World cup matches schedule to play in this ground.
* The First Test match was played here in 5th Jan, 1934 between India and England.
* The first ODI match was played here in 18th Feb, 1987 between India and Sri Lanka.
* Eden Gardens Cricket Stadium is the largest cricket stadium in India by seating capacity.
* Eden Gardens is one of the iconic cricket stadiums in the Cricket world.
* Eden Garden is the second biggest cricket stadium in the world, after the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia.
* This stadium hosted the memorable World Cup final of 1987 between Australia and England.
* In the year of 2000-01 one of the most memorable innings of the cricket was played by VVS Laxman in this ground. He scored 281 against Australia to help India to defeat Australia despite follow on. This cricket game in well known as the greatest comeback game in the modern cricket history.